“Time” called on Windows 2003
Last orders has been called. Microsoft will end support for Windows Server 2003 in July 2015. This means potential:
- security breaches,
- regulatory compliance issues, and
- application support challenges.
You might confess that you’ve had your fingers in your ears – after all you’ve got a business to run, and there are more fun things to do. You are forgiven.
With all the demands for budget, why should this get top priority now? Let’s make the case for you.
What could possibly go wrong?
We all know that come July, the files will still serve, the printers will still print, and the applications will keep the wheels of your industriousness turning. So, save the cash for the office party, right? Well, no.
There’s a price for doing nothing. It won’t be long before the expense of maintaining it outweighs the cost of moving on up. Meanwhile you are exposed to more risks. Imagine the impact on your customers when you experience these scenarios:
- Security breaches. There will be no security fixes, leaving you exposed to malicious attacks and data loss.
- Compliance failures. If you are a regulated by HIPAA, PCI, SOX and Dodd-Frank, you will be non-compliant and may lose business and pay penalties.
- Uptime. And then there’s the final day when the lights just won’t come on any more, at the worst possible moment. Those bits of tin are simply going to wear out. Let’s face it, 12 years on and even our knees are starting to creak just a little bit.
What are the options?
There are a number of migration paths, depending on your current state.
It may simply be a case of migrating to Server 2012, as applications often can be installed without any problems.
Moving to virtual servers for more complex legacy applications will protect them, while you potentially work towards their eventual replacement.
You may consider applications that can move to the cloud, e.g. Exchange to Office 365.
A migration is not only an opportunity to benefit from a safer, more reliable environment, but can prepare you for the next generation of computing for your business.
What do we do next?
Talk to us. In three simple phases we can help you establish:
- Where you are now – we’ll assess your applications and server workload.
- Where you need to get to – we’ll recommend the best target destination for all your needs.
- What we can do to get you there – we’ll implement a migration plan to protect your applications and get you to a more secure, compliant and reliable environment.
The bell has rung – it’s time to get moving.
GET IN TOUCH
Got an emergency? A one-off query?
Need IT support services in Sussex? 01273 652 300